Customs Regulations

Posted on 02-Apr-2022


Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
Documents Required

Copy of passport
Copy of visa
Bill of lading (BL) / air waybill (AWB)
Packing list in German or English
Customs declaration / signed letter by owner of the goods
Customs registration form 0350
Letter of employment or botschaftsbescheinigung (returning citizens)
Anmeldebestaetigung (registration)
Diplomatic entry form 0349 (diplomats)
Certificate from the diplomatic organization in Germany (diplomats)
Specific Information

Effective processing of the Customs declaration can only commence once the goods are in the European Union and have been presented at the Customs office.
?Products imported into the European Customs Union are subject to duties only when and where the product first enters the European Union (e.g., Germany).
The Customs declaration should be provided by the local agent in Germany. 
A letter signed by the owner of the goods certifying that the following taxable high value goods have not been included in the shipment:
Customs registration form 0350 stating goods will not be sold for 12 months.
Letter of employment must state the term of employment will be for a minimum of 12 months and that the owner of the goods lived abroad for at least 12 months (must be issued by the employer of the client)
Anmeldebestaetigung can be obtained from the appropriate German town hall confirming registration of new residency in Germany (not older than 3 months).
Effective 1st November, 2015, the owner of the goods is required to obtain a confirmation letter, called "Wohngeberbescheinigung" from their future landlord in order to get a registration, "Anmeldebestaetigung".
The confirmation letter, "Wohngeberbescheinigung" must confirm that the owner of the goods will live at the address mentioned. 
Shipment must arrive in Germany within 12 months after registration in Germany. 
Botschaftsbescheinigung from the German Embassy or Consulate at origin. 
This document serves to confirm the period of time abroad (returning citizens). 
Proof of registration may not be older than 3 months. 
All goods for duty-free importation, such as household goods and personal effects must have been in the owner of the goods' possession for at least 6 months in the origin country. 
Duty-free entry for foreign diplomats is permitted if a bilateral agreement exists with the origin country. 
Motor Vehicles
Documents Required 

Proof of ownership
Car documents
Original bill of lading
Insurance card from country of origin
Third-party liability insurance initiated at Customs clearance
Registration and copy of title from origin country
The registration must show a minimum use of the last 6 months prior to shipping / prior to the first registration of the client in Germany

Specific Information

Owner of the goods’ town hall registration in Germany (Anmeldebestatigung).
Cars and motorcycles must be in the owner of the goods’ possession and must have been used for at least 6 months (as evidenced by a proper registration) at origin prior to shipment; adequate confirmation will be given by simple declaration as part of the Customs declaration.
Approval for possession and use requires title and registration documents showing customers name and identified vehicle for import.
Cars must be inspected before licensing, and must comply with German technical and environmental regulations and may require modifications.
Customs clearance requires knowledge of all technical details of the car.
Tax and duties must be paid in advance to the Customs office. 

Documents Required

Vaccination record
Veterinary health certificate in German or translated by a licensed veterinarian 
Specific Information

The veterinary health certificate is valid ten days from the date in which it was issued (20 days for pets coming from non-European countries).
It must describe the animal and state that the pet is free from rabies and other contagious diseases.
Animals must be fitted with an identification microchip.
The import of cats and dogs under 3 months old requires the purchase of an import permit from the state authority of the future residence in the destination country as well as the authority of the port of entry (POE).

Restricted/Dutiable Items