Customs Regulations

Posted on 30-Mar-2022

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

Original passport (with one-year visa issued by immigration in Thailand required for free duty and tax import)

Packing list

Work permit

Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)

Copy ID card (returning citizens) (air shipment only)

90 day business class visa (non Thai immigrants)

Diplomatic privileges approval issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand

 Specific Information

The shipment must arrive within 6 months after the owner of the goods’ first arrival on their non - immigrant visa or arrival stamp on a passport.

For returning citizens it must be on last arrival.

Must contain only used household and personal effect items (not new items).

Customs allow one of each kind of electrical appliances.

Double items will be dutiable.

Household goods must come from the country where the owner of the goods has been staying / working before moving to Thailand.

Customs allow one air and sea shipment duty free.

The owner of the goods should enter Thailand with a 90 days "class B" (business) non-immigrant visa (non - citizens).

The owner of the goods has a 12 month work permit (without any condition), and 12 month visa which has been stamped by immigration in Thailand.

Normal process for issuing work permit may take 4-8 weeks (non - citizens).

The owner of the goods has never imported goods into Thailand (returning citizens).

The owner of the goods must be in the origin country at least 365 days (returning citizens).

If the owner of the goods visits Thailand while staying overseas, it must be only 3 months maximum each time (returning citizens).

If the owner of the goods visits Thailand many times while staying overseas, the owner of the goods must have good reason and explanation for Thai customs (returning citizens).

Returning citizens must be overseas for 1 year in order to be considered for tax and duty free re-entry; travel to and from Thailand during the owner of the goods’ overseas stay is likely to disqualify them from the exemption.

A physical stamp in passport and a copy of his/her Thai ID card is required.

Diplomatic shipments are exempt from tax and duty, but processing takes approximately 14 business days by the respective Embassy; therefore, documentation must arrive prior to shipment to avoid additional port charges.

Retirement / tourist / non - immigrant O visa holders must pay duties.

Retirement visa holders must pay duties for household goods except used personal effects (e.g. books, clothes, shoes).

Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

Original passport

Original driving license

Original car registration

Import license (from Ministry of Commerce in Thailand)

DP1 document (from respective Embassy)

Diplomatic exemption certificate (diplomats)

Original bill of lading

One set of certified copy of all documents mentioned and certified by the owner of the goods

 Specific Information

Shipments containing more than one of any electrical appliance will be subject to Customs taxes and duties.

Duties range from 213% to 308% for cars and 94% for motorcycles not shipped under diplomatic status.

Motorcycles cannot be imported unless qualifying under diplomatic status or the owner of the goods has an import license.

Before the shipment of motor vehicles, the owner of the goods must obtain approval from the Ministry of Commerce and the import permit must be granted.

Import licenses are rarely granted to non - citizens.

Individuals must have owned the vehicle at least one and a half years prior to import and must have correct documentation supporting the claim.

Must have a work permit and a visa of at least one year old from immigration in Thailand.

If a spouse wants to import a vehicle, and is not working but following the working spouse to Thailand, then documentation must be shown as proof.

If the permit is approved and the automobile has been imported, the owner of the goods cannot sell it for at least three years from the date of the approval.


Documents Required

Vaccination record

Microchip certificate

Copy of the owner of the goods’ passport

Import/export license for pet shipping as excess baggage and manifest cargo

Government health certificate

Air waybill

Pet’s container

 Specific Information


The vaccin